Thursday 6 October 2011

The Valley of the Lost Horizon

http://fineartamerica.com/featured/confusion-michelle-barlondsmith.html


I was born in some place
So diverse, so hard to analyse.
It’s called the Valley of the Lost Horizon,
Full of love and full of despise
I saw bravery, I met cowards,
I saw honesty, I heard lies.
I saw traitors who sold their conscience
And sold their souls like merchandise.
I saw patriots who’d do anything
Just to witness the nation rise.
I saw blind clowns mimicking ridiculously,
They called me, “Yo alien! Come globalise!”
In the valley, only money made power,
Not knowledge, not dignity, not otherwise.
People kill each other for cash
The rich man lives and the poor one dies.

In a remote corner of the valley,
I found a building so old.
There was no one around.
It was scary and cold.
I entered the building.
“Anybody here?”
A man there called,
“Come here my dear,
We have sights to behold!”
It was an old library,
Or so I was told;
Dusty papers on the shelves,
And black spiders crawled.
The old man showed me a book.
I held the book and began to unfold.
I then shut the book angrily.
I thought I was being fooled!
The book said that this valley
Was once the lighthouse
For the entire world!
The man frowned and said
“Ha, you were brainwashed my dear.
Come back again some day,
There are millions of stories to be told.”

I walked and walked
At a very slow pace,
Then saw a heavenly garden
Oh! What a place!
I saw a sign that read
“Democracy and Human Rights
For the Human Race."
I kept on walking
With a beaming face,
Then saw something terrible
Made me feel the menace.
A Geyser of Hatred!
Where does it come from?
No clue! No trace!
But all I could see was that
It poured “hatred” on my valley
Yes! I’ll say it with pride!
My Valley!
Oh! Millions of memories to reminisce!

I ran back to the old man
And asked him to explain.
I noticed he was bleeding
He was stabbed… but answered again
“You’ve visited the land of the enemy”
Was the answer to sustain.
The enemy? But they said… Oh God!
I feel I’m insane
“I can say no more
I have to abstain
For the walls have ears
And I’ll lose everything
I had or wanted to gain”
He limped into the darkness
And the sky began to rain.
In tears, I asked God for mercy
And to relieve my nation’s pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment