Thursday 19 January 2012

The Thrill







"You're gonna miss that interview.. again! You're 27 years old and all you do is hang out with your buddies and come back home at the break of dawn! Get a life, son! Look at your younger brother, he's got a beautiful family and a great job! Why aren't you like him? Why can't you be like him? Your father and I are sick and tired.."


"Good morning, Mom!" I whispered.. " I'm awake now, I swear. I'm awake."


"Son, you know I say all this for your good.."


Yeah! Right! Good!
What an amazing morning, don't you think? I washed my weary eyes and looked at the mirror.. Mom is right.. 27 years went by with no accomplishment other than being the speediest driver among my friends.


How unusual it is for me to dress formally. How do men wear these suits? I feel like my arms and neck are tied.. I rode the elevator down, counted the steps till I reached my car, oh my beautiful car! Gooood morning baby! My heaven is behind that steering wheel! 


I rode to the office. I was stuck in the morning rush hour so I was 10 minutes late to the interview.. and interviewers are never satisfied with this excuse. I wasn't expecting any more than "Thank you very much. We will call you to inform you in case you're accepted."
In case... Thank you!
I removed my tie and jacket! Oooh! I can breathe now! It was 10am by now which means the streets are nearly empty and I'm feeling very fast and furious-ish. 


There are some rules to get the best thrill..
First, roll down your window. The air is an essential element.
Second, turn off the radio or the music player. All you wanna hear is the howling engine.
Third, clear your mind.. Any foreign unwanted thought can ruin the moment.


I held the wheel firmly.. started the engine and started moving.. Wow! That feeling of the adrenaline is just AMAZING. And it increases as the speed increases. As usual, I hear nothing but the roaring engine.. and the wind!
"Get a life, son!" That little sound interrupted my harmony..
I gotta get rid of that sound.. More speed! More speeeeeeed!


Ah, yes! The wind playing through my shabby hair, just like my mom when I used to lay my head on her lap as a kid... I haven't been good to mom lately..
What's with this conscience court? What's wrong with me?
MORE SPEEEEED!
Now, all the people turned into ghosts with colourfuls halos. I could see all the light in front of me in straight lines meeting at a black point, right there in the middle.


Everything is very... hazy.. Where's the engine's sound? Where's the wind?


I tried to concentrate.. with the noise around me.. I heard feet .. coming closer.. and closer.. A hand wrapped itself around my neck. I heard a language I couldn't understand but I recognised "ambulance" and "alive".. I was trying to concentrate ... but at this point ... it was of no use... 


I'm so sorry Mom! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment