Friday 30 March 2012

The Alien from Neptune





We always say “As a human being you should sympathise with people around you and offer them comfort.” OK! That's great! We always say that assuming that the human being is the most civilised creature. But.. what if.. only if.. there was a better choice?

Every human being is the centre of his/her own universe. It's absolutely normal. That doesn't mean they are “self-centred”. What determines selfishness and its vice is the distance from the centre at which you place people and whether you see them in full dimensions; not just a moving bulk of flesh and blood but a container of memories, thought, hope, frustration, love and fear, and a significant creation of God that has its glow and its flaw.

If Aicha is in trouble and Enas wishes to help her, Enas starts asking herself: 
“Has ENAS done enough for AICHA?” 
“Has ENAS made AICHA feel any better?” 
“Has ENAS been a supportive friend to AICHA?”

Awww! That's very sweet and generous of Enas!
NO! It's NOT!
Notice that the name ENAS appears each time before AICHA. Why? Actually, her name should not appear at all! In most cases, even if AICHA does not feel any better, ENAS does not work any harder because ENAS's goal was to “show” support so she does that and even if the results are not favourable, she just stops there. This is about AICHA so ENAS should forget about herself a little.. and this is finally where I get to my point..

What if I -also known as Enas- forget that I'm a human being with full existence and imagine that I am... emmm... an alien from Neptune and that I'm a mere observer of the human condition. All my experience and my human connections serve only as a database of advice that I will use as an alien while trying to comfort my 'human' friend with minimum reference to me, my life, my sorrows, my ANYTHING. I, ME and MY are forbidden to be spoken.. or even thought of!

This will require so much patience. You cannot try this when you're tired, hungry, in a bad mood or when the weather's hot. Aliens don't like summer!

Perfectionist and impossible to apply in real life? Maybe, but I'll have fun trying. Imagining to be a alien from Neptune can never be boring.
I don't claim to be a perfect friend. Frankly, my friends are being extra patient with me and my behaviour all the time [ thank you guys <3 ]. But we all just want to make life easier for each other. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment